Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Filter

Hey friends!

It's been a while again and I brewed twice since then.

The first time I adjusted the temperature sensor, filtered the hot wort with a filter cloth in a spaghetti strainer and aerated the wort before fermentation.

The filter thing was a well, not to repeat experience... The strainer filled up and the cloth was jammed. I had to wash it seven times and to force the hot wort through it...

But the beer was better, some bottles even pretty good, with a nice bit of banana flavor.

So the filtering seemed to be a huge step forward and I made a lot of research. The problem is, that my wort is close to 100°C when I want to filter it. You easily find water filters and stuff out there but not with the temperature range I need. In the end I took some piece of plastic garden pump pre filter and hoped for the best.
It is officially not for alimentary use, but for my surprise, it says "per alimenti" on the bottom. So far so good, but I was still worried about the temperature. Well, I had no choice than test it and it didn't complain after being flushed several times with boiling water, everything was okay, no change in color, everything cool.

I then decided to mount it and replaced all the hoses with metal hoses:


The only bad thing no is, that the diameter of the hoses is much smaller and the pump has not much pressure which mades that it take forever to empty the machine. But I brewed once with this new setup and there's one big problem now: the filter clogs pretty fast. I had to stop the pump and clean the filter three times which is not that is with hot hoses... That definitively needs improvement. maybe a bigger filter or a stronger pump, we'll see.

The beer is now bottled and in the fridge, I'll first taste it and see if the filter principle works...

See you soon, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment